Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Hills are Alive with The Sound of Music

I need to run to music.  There is no doubt about it. 

I play music and dance in the shower.  I attempt to sing while I am brushing my teeth (which is not a pretty sight).  It is no surprise that I incorporate music into my exercise regimen.

The question is "Why do I feel that I need to run with music?"

While spending some time on Digg,  I came across this article relating to the psychology behind effective workout music. The article states that music can help distract you from pain and fatigue. For myself, I know this to be true.

My trusty iPod is what gets me through just one more kilometer, or one more set of weights.

I have a dedicated playlist on my iPod that I so cleverly named "Run".  It contains roughly five hours of continuous play of music that is set at around 169 bpm (beats per minute).  The songs on this playlist help me keep my pace.

If you are interested in making your own playlist, I found a cool site called jog.fm.  You just plug in your pace and it will provide you with some recommendations, try it out!

What about you?  What keeps you moving?  I would love to hear your song recommendations to add to my playlist!  Just click on the post title and leave your comments below.
Happy Trails!
Court





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Court! I actually have separate playlists for different types of sports occasions. I have soccer playlist which consists of only Hip Hop/Rap I like to play in the dressing room for the team while we get ready for the game to get us pumped up. I have a separate running playlist which consists of more upbeat house music. I don't think I could really function without music before a soccer game or during a run. It definitely feels like there is something missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a super cool site! Thanks for sharing. I also have play lists dedicated to various activities and totally agree on how certain songs can totally pumps you up and motivate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amir & Sarah, thanks for your comments and stopping by. I agree with both of you. For me, my running needs a soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Court,
    This is a great site. I enjoy running as well, and probably couldn't be able to do it without my music as I get bored quickly. Is there any stats on what sort of music is most effective or is it just what you enjoy?
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete