Friday, October 18, 2013

Let's Get Off on the Right Foot ~ Top 10 Tips for New Runners

Running has many benefits, so it's no wonder that you want to start.  However, to many running can seem like a daunting task.

To help you get off on the right foot, I have compiled a list of my Top 10 tips that will help you on your way.  Please feel free to add your running tips in the comments section below!

1. Get Proper Running Shoes


I cannot stress this enough.  It is extremely important that your running shoes fit you properly or you will be prone to injuries.  I recommend going to a running store and have them find you a running shoe.  Many specialty running stores will provide free gait analysis and will be able to determine whether or not you are an underpronater, overpronater or neutral..  Shop for comfort first, style second.  I mean it, Google 'Improper Fitting Running Shoes' and you will see what I'm talking about.  Ew.

2. Slow and Steady wins the Race
Don't be embarrassed that you are not stepping foot out of the door and crushing world records.  Running takes a lot of training and time for your body to adjust.  Start slow and listen to your body.  I suggest starting with a Run/Walk program  As time goes on, you will be able to run for longer.  There are many free online training programs that can get you started.


3. Set Goals and Objectives
Runners are normally chasing after a goal.  We are all trying for a new PR (personal record).  As a new runner, it is important to set goals and objectives to keep you motivated and keep you accountable.  So pick something that is motivating you such as running for half an hour, or completing your first 5 Km.

4. Stretch
Many people do not take the time to stretch properly and it can lead to injuries and post run soreness.  I have been guilty of this habit in the past.  Make sure that your muscles are warm and that you stretch gently.

5.  Drink Up
Remember to stay hydrated.  Drink water or a sports drink like Gatorade before and after your runs.  For longer distances, have drinks accessible to keep you going.

6. Hills Are a Good Thing
I'm serious! Don't you roll your eyes at me.  Hills are a great way of conditioning your body, working out your butt and increasing your speed.  Try incorporating a little bit of hill work on your easier run days.

7.  Eliminate Excuses
There are going to be days where you do not want to go for a run.  It could be the weather, bad day, anything.  You need to push through that because once you do it, you know you will be glad that you did.

8.  Get a Good Playlist 
Music can keep you distracted from the physical effort of running and push you to go further than without. More information on this topic can be found in this post.

9.  Stay Safe Kids

This seems obvious but I am still amazed at the things I see some runners do.  Run against the traffic. If you are running early in the morning or at night, wear bright, reflective clothing.  If you are listening to music, make sure that you can still hear what is going on in your surroundings.



10.  Give it a Rest 
You wouldn't go to they gym everyday and work out the same part of your body everyday, would you? Give your body a rest day from running.  Do some yoga or nothing at all. Your body deserves a break.

I hope this post gives you some insight and inspiration to get you up and running!

Happy Trails!
Court




10 comments:

  1. Good tips! Can you recommend a stretching routine? Is there one you use specifically? Or perhaps an article you can refer me to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ewheeler79, thanks for your question! There are many stretches that will benefit runners. There are also Yoga classes designed specifically for runners emerging all over the place.

    It's also a fantastic idea for a future post as I'm sure there are others with the same question.

    Below is a link to get you started as a new runner. Let me know if you need further info as I would be happy to help.

    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/runningworkouts/tp/BestRunningStretches.htm


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Court,
      Great tips! I started running a couple of years ago and used the "learn to run" program at The Running Room in Vancouver. They helped me find the perfect shoes and we did a great walk/run program to get us going. I love the turtle/bunny image...I am a slow runner for sure, but it's important to remember that we are all running for different reasons and we can't all be from Kenya either.
      The only thing I would add to your list are supplying yourself with some Epsom Salts for a after run soaking. Does wonders for the legs and the mind!
      Cadie

      Delete
    2. Hi Cadie, thanks for stopping by! I agree, not everyone runs for the same reasons and certainly everyone is not running to race. Great tip with the Epsom Salts, a little more enjoyable than the ice bath!

      Delete
  3. Great Post! I think running can actually be really intimidating to people. I know I find is so gruelling in the beginning that is always hard getting back into it! I definitely would not consider myself to be a runner, although I wish I was. I think it is such a great way to burn off steam and you can do it anywhere, and for free!.
    Thanks for the tips! Good runners that work for you are key. I really tried to get into the Nike Free Runs because so many people recommended them to me. I just couldn't do it. They made running torture for me. My feet, knees and back were killing me. I think my arch is just too high, but I don't really know. I just bought a new pair of Nikes and so far I am loving them. What a difference!!

    In terms of setting goals, I find it super helpful to have an app or device to calculate my distance. I use my ipod which has the Nike running app. I love this for pushing myself. It's great for when you are close to your next KM. I find I am able to push myself that much further when I know I am close to rounding out my distance. And it also nice when you don't look at it for awhile, then you are pleasantly surprised when you pull it out and see you went further than you thought!

    And I couldn't agree more about a good playlist! No music totally changes my pace!

    Thanks for the tips! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra, I know how you feel! I tried to wish myself into a cute pair of running shoes a few years ago. The alternative was far less attractive but I could not ignore the fit. I ended up sulking and going home with the "Ol' Uglies". They turned out to be one of the best running shoes I have ever owned and I loved them

      You are right, there are now many Apps available to keep you motivated before, during and after your runs, I use Nike + as well as my Garmin.

      Delete
  4. Court,
    Great tips...I really like how personal your blog is, it is almost like you are talking to me. I hate but love running. The tips that you gave are sooo important, just wish it wasn't as difficult as it is. But I guess hard work pays off. I know when I am done I will feel great, but during the run I hate it. Another tip that I was told about that is interesting is - when you buy a pair of running shoes...take the cost of the runners and take $5 off every time you run...so when you get down to 0 you will need a new pair of runners.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mandy, thanks for the kind comment! I have never heard that tip, won't last long if you bought them on sale :) Obviously it varies for everyone depending on the brand, style of shoe, type of running, etc. I believe that the general rule of thumb is to change your running shoes approximately every 900-1,100 kim to avoid injury. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Court, great post. I'm new to running and the only tip I was giving when I first started running was "no pain no gain" lol Let's just say the next more there was a lot of pain and I started searching for more tips. When I was training for the Tough Mudder and Sun Run this year some of the people that I with suggested that when running up hills to stay on the balls for your feet this will help propel you foward and it will absorb the impacta nd be easier on your knees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelly, how was Tough Mudder? Yes, I run up hills on the balls of my feet as well. I also find that it's not as tiresome to my body that way.

    ReplyDelete